Re: [tlug] Upgrading the kernel...?

Godwin

Thanks for explaining things.

I'm setting aside tomorrow afternoon to try upgrading my kernel. If I can get reliable Palm connections and not create a world of other hassles, then it's worth it. The key is if I can reboot to my current system if things go horribly wrong.

Before I proceed, I want to make sure that I'm doing the right things. So I'm just going to put here the commands I need to do, and if any expert eyes spot any gotchas, that would help a lot.

The instructions I'm using are, as mentioned before, from here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217657

First, a question. There is a warning midway down the page that says "MPORTANT: READ THIS POST OR THE KERNEL MAY NOT COMPILE!". It links to this page:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1308736&postcount=106

On that page, it says to "unset the following", followed by these directions:
Device Drivers -> Multimedia Devices -> Digital Broadcasting Devices

But, I don't understand what it's pointing to. Those aren't directories, and I can't find any kind of "Device Drivers" program in my Gnome Panel. What setting or application am I supposed to be using to remove these "Digital Broadcasting Devices"?

Okay, then onto the actual kernel building. Here's what the web site says I should do, without all the commentary:

sudo apt-get install build-essential bin86 kernel-package libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev wget && cd /usr/src

sudo wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.17.7.tar.bz2 && sudo tar -xvjf linux-2.6.17.7.tar.bz2

sudo rm -rf linux && sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.7 linux && cd /usr/src/linux

sudo cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config && sudo make xconfig

sudo -s -H

cd /usr/src/linux

make-kpkg clean

make-kpkg -initrd --revision=386 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image

dpkg -i <name of the image .deb file>

dpkg -i <name of the header .deb file>

QUESTION: As per Godwin's recommendation, I want to ensure that I can boot back to my current setting. What exactly is it that I'm moving to /boot/vmlinuz-test to ensure that's the case? I assume I do it at this stage of the kernel creation. And when I edit GRUB, what do I put in menu.ls to point to the new kernel?

QUESTION: The web site says I have to re-install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card to work with the new kernel. However, if I type "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx" at this stage, before rebooting, apt-get will think I'm trying to install nvidia-glx for my 2.6.15 kernel, and say "latest version already installed" Is there a way I can install nvidia-glx for the new kernel before rebooting so that I can come up to X right away? Or will I have to reboot and install nvidia-glx from the command prompt when the new kernel is running?

reboot

--
Dave M G