Re: [tlug] Upgrading the kernel...?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:46:57 +0900, Dave M G <martin@example.com>
wrote:

> What I'm wondering is, if I go for this upgrade, might I be able to
> solve my IVTV problems as well. By which I mean, can I "patch" my
> kernel in such a way that it has IVTV support that wouldn't require
> me rebuilding it all the time?

Unlikely.

The modules are built against a particular kernel and will only work
for *that* kernel. IOW, if you change the kernel you have to rebuild
the IVTV modules. This is going to be the case whether you build the
kernel yourself or you upgrade it from your distro's repository.

> Actually, maybe what I should be asking is: what is the risk level
> here? Everyone talks about upgrading the kernel as if it makes things
> go faster, and gets proper palm support, and everything is better.
> But these must be experienced Linux users who can handle rough waters.
>
> Somebody stop me if this is a really dumb idea.

Building a kernel is a far less daunting task once you've done it once
and understood where you went wrong. Not many get it right first time :)

Whatever you do, always leave yourself the possibility of booting back
to the original kernel you were using previously - this will prevent
you from hosing the system entirely because you forgot to add support
for the filesystem used in your root partition, for example, or because
you forgot support for the console (BTDTGTTS).

It took me a couple of hours of futzing about back in the days of
2.4.10 or thereabouts, but once I'd grokked it I really did wonder what
all the fuss was about. You will too once you're done with it.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with Microsoft software.