Re: [tlug] Socket error when connecting to MySQL

Jim,

Thank you for responding.

I would suggest trying to figure out what is broken first.
Well, MySQL is definitely running. And I can access it at the command line and do stuff with it.

And, promisingly, since my last reboot, phpMyAdmin now works, as do my local PHP scripts. So that's nice.

Zend, however, has gone back to not being able to find the right MySQL socket. But that's because of this next thing:

What is very, very odd is that I seem to neither have a my.cnf file or a mysql.sock file anywhere on my system anymore. I've tried using "updatedb" and "locate" to find either, and came up with nothing.

I mentioned previously that I tried to uninstall and reinstall MySQL, so I'm thinking that move has caused the disappearance of these files.

I'm a little mystified as to why phpMyAdmin and my own PHP scripts are able to function without MySQL having these files in place.

I went to Synatptic, searched for my.cnf, and it said it was in a package called mysql-common, so I reinstalled it, and I still didn't get a my.cnf file. Huh?

So, how can I get a fresh, default my.cnf file, and/or create a mysql.sock file?

--
Dave M G