[tlug] Socket error when connecting to MySQL

Ubuntu Users,

One of my applications, Zend Studio, returns the following error when I try to connect to my MySQL server:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket /tmp/mysql.sock

Of course, I tried searching on Google, the MySQL site, and Zend's site for help.

Based on the information I saw, it seemed that what I needed to do was edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf to make sure that it had the following lines included:

[client]
port        = 3306
socket        = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

But that hasn't helped.

What I wondered was if there was some consideration particular to my distribution or something.

For example, my my.cnf file is in /etc/mysql, whereas on the web sites I looked at, they all said it should be in /etc.

Is anyone familiar with this error, and is there a more specific solution?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G