[tlug] Running Linux and Windows on a Single Box (was Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop)

Joseph Essertier wrote:

> 3. Have a dual boot setup with GNU/Linux on one partition and Windows
> (any version from Windows 2000 or later) on another

When Windows is corrupted, it has access to Linux partitions
and so can in turn corrupt Linux.

A few solutions to this come to mind:

1. Use separate computers for Windows and Linux.

   The benefits and drawbacks are obvious,
   so no need to belabor them.

2. Put Linux and the data Linux accesses only from bootable removable media.

   Some drawbacks to this are:

   1. Expense of extra drive.
   2. Persistent nuisance of connecting and removing Linux drive.
   3. Slowness. If one uses a USB drive, it's not as fast as PATA.

   A benefit is (physical) portability to run on other machines.

3. Use virtualization, such as Vmware or Xen.

   The virtualization would protect the OSs from corrupting
   each other. Even better, you could run both Windows and
   Linux at the same time (on one box). This is far more
   convenient than conventional dual booting.

   Xen is becoming more interesting. Right now Xen can only run
   OSs modified to run under Xen. But some CPU makers are making
   CPUs with support for virtualization so that unmodified OSs
   can be run under virtualization stuff ... like Xen.
   I encourage you to buy the hardware that will let you run
   Linux and (unmodified) Windows under Xen.