Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:44:30 -0400, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> Stick to the open-source drivers. Since you will likely get only ordinary
> performance from a high-performance board, and since you are a newbie,
> there's little point in you buying high-performance video boards for use
> with Linux.

Seconded, except that I don't see how being a newbie is going to affect the
performance the OP can expect from a graphics card.

Personally, I couldn't care less about 3D performance and gaming, so I
stick with ATI Radeon 9x00 cards. The one in this box is a generic Radeon
9200SE (RV280) job which does everything I want it to.

Matrox cards are also supported by the kernel and by X as a general rule.
They suck big time in 3D applications, but if you don't care then you get
exceptionally clear output in 2D applications. Very good quality indeed.
They are, however, a bit more expensive than your bog standard ATI Radeon.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

The best way to accelerate a Windows-infested computer is at 9.8 m.s^-2