Re: [tlug] Slightly messed up Japanese input

Scott,

Thanks for replying.
Ok Dave, I think you're getting frustrated,
No, not yet. I'm reserving frustration for my printer not working.
If you open a terminal, can you input Japanese?  If so, which terminal?
What are your LC_CTYPE settings?
If I open a terminal, gnome-terminal that is, I can indeed type Japanese.

I don't know what LC_CTYPE settings are, though, so I'm not sure how to answer that one.
Did you try my suggestion of finding out the name of the program (that
is, it's usually soffice or something similar) and trying to start it
with something like
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=SCIM" GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 soffice?
Um... actually, I don't think I saw that email. Let me check... no, I didn't get it. This may be related to a problem on my hosting service where my email account is. It's being repaired, but I missed a few emails.

Anyhow, I tried this way of opening OpenOffice Writer:
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=SCIM" GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 ooffice -writer

But this did not make any Japanese input happen. There were no errors in the terminal.

At present, all we know now is that you're using scim-anthy, that you
might have some other programs installed that were recommended by the
wiki article and that you are able to hit ctl+space to use Japanese in
some programs.
This is all I know too.
Remember, not everyone uses Ubuntu, and probably most of
the experienced people on this list use something less newcomer
oriented.
Fair enough. I'll try to be more descriptive of the interface I'm looking at if I can.

So, when you say the icon, we're not necessarily sure what
you mean.
Me neither, to be honest. Previously to messing with Synaptic, on the top right hand side of the screen, on the Gnome panel near the clock and date, there was an icon that consisted of two horizontal black bars with some white space in between. Beside it was, usually, a hiragana "あ" and a lower case "a". I don't know what the icon was called or what program exactly it referred to. But I do know that clicking on it gave me a list of input options, like anthy or direct input or things like that. It's not there anymore so it's hard to be more descriptive of it.

I tried to look up on Google things like "language input icon ubuntu" or other search terms, but didn't find anything which told me what it was.

Do you know what you removed?
Not really. When I tried to remove Scim, it removed a whole ton of packages. And I mean a ton of things that I had no idea were dependancies, like Gedit, and Gaim, and Nautilus. There was no "cancel" button as it blew away huge portions of my application set. I tried to catch as many as I could for re-installation, but it all happened so fast, the above mentioned three were the only things I caught.

Did you
install Ubuntu's scim-anthy package?
IYes.

You can try doing locale -a | grep ja_JP to see if Ubuntu prefers
ja_JP.UTF-8 or ja_JP.utf8.  You can also try using EUC, which in Debian
would be ja_JP.EUC-JP.
dave@example.com:~$ locale -a | grep ja_JP
ja_JP.utf8

--