Re: [tlug] Slightly messed up Japanese input

Did my last message come out looking badly formatted? On my machine it looks like all the paragraphs run together.

Hoping that's an anomaly, I'll just continue on with some new information I found just after posting here.

I rebooted, because it's an old Windows user habit: reboot and hopefully magically all one's problems will disappear.

Then I right clicked on the top gnome panel, because I've been obsessively doing this in hopes of change. This time there was a new icon there, called UIM. So I selected to add that to the panel, and hey, presto, my weird little Japanese switcher icon thingy is back. Maybe those old Windows user habits aren't so useless after all.

I right clicked the icon, selected "preferences tool", and got a new error/warning message I hadn't seen before:

The user customize file "~/.uim" is found.
This file will override all conflicted settings set by
this tool (stored in ~/.uim.d/customs/*.scm).
Please check the file if you find your settings aren't applied.

Well, that seems informative. I went to my home folder and looked at the .uim file. It contains the following one line only:
(define default-im-name 'anthy) ; IM-SWITCH VALUE

Okay, so, now I figured I better tell you guys about this, because I'm not sure what to do with this file. I opened Thunderbird to type out a mail... and I discovered that my input switching hotkeys have been changed *back* to [shift]+[space]. [ctrl]+[space] doesn't work anymore. I discovered this because it keeps accidentally happening. Very annoying.

But at least there's some kind of progress.

Then I had this bright idea... if this .uim file is over riding my settings, why don't I delete it? So I did, then rebooted... and it was back again. And my settings were still annoying. I also now notice there's a .uim.d folder in my home directory, with a bunch of files in one subdirectory called "customs":
dave@example.com:~/.uim.d/customs$ ls
custom-anthy-keys1.scm  custom-global-keys1.scm  custom-tutcode-keys1.scm
custom-anthy-keys2.scm  custom-global-keys2.scm  custom-tutcode-keys2.scm
custom-anthy-keys3.scm  custom-global.scm        custom-xim.scm
custom-anthy.scm        custom-other-ims.scm
custom-eb.scm           custom-toolbar.scm

I'm tempted to blow away this folder too, but that kind of thinking seems to land me in trouble.

Does any of this information provide any more clues as to how I can make [ctrl]+[space] be my input switching hotkey? And maybe from there look at OpenOffice?

--
Dave M G