Re: [tlug] Slightly messed up Japanese input

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:20:14PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Botond,
>
> Thank you for replying.
> > You need to tell us what input method you are using. There are many.
> >
> I'm using Scim/anthy. And I believe UIM is also installed.
>
> Actually, I did a little random hacking away at my computer by trying to
> add and remove packages via synaptic, and the situation has changed a
> little:
>
> I've lost the icon in the panel which shows me which input method I'm
> currently using. I can't find what package enabled this, nor can I find
> any clear way of putting it there.
>
> I can successfully switch input methods using [Ctrl]+[space] instead of
> [Shift]+[Space]. So that's good.
>
> I still can get absolutely no Japanese input in OpenOffice. This is a
> big problem, as I have a lot of Japanese text to write.

Ok Dave, I think you're getting frustrated, and forgetting to give us a
lot of information that we need if we're going to be able to help.
In your first post, you said you'd followed that wiki article, so I, for
example, was going on the premise that you were using uim-anthy and that
input switcher thing they talk about.

Also, when you say you've done some hacking, it would help to know what
you removed or didn't remove.  The icon--was it the one on the top?
That was from uim-anthy and the input switcher, so don't worry about it.

So, now you're using scim-anthy, as far as you know, so you've gotten
the ctl+space.

If you open a terminal, can you input Japanese?  If so, which terminal?
What are your LC_CTYPE settings?

Did you try my suggestion of finding out the name of the program (that
is, it's usually soffice or something similar) and trying to start it
with something like

XMODIFIERS="@example.com=SCIM" GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 soffice?

If so, what was the result--was there any error message in the terminal?

Part of learning is knowing what information to give us.  For a
relaxing, and almost fun read, take a look at the tlug list faq on the
home page, and read that article suggested, the one about how to ask
questions the smart way.

At present, all we know now is that you're using scim-anthy, that you
might have some other programs installed that were recommended by the
wiki article and that you are able to hit ctl+space to use Japanese in
some programs.  Remember, not everyone uses Ubuntu, and probably most of
the experienced people on this list use something less newcomer
oriented.  So, when you say the icon, we're not necessarily sure what
you mean.

So, this makes it a bit difficult to help.  I'm sure part of this (that
is, the lack of information) is simply due to inexperience and part of
it is due to frustration.

So, let's take it from the top.  Do you know what you removed?  Did you
install Ubuntu's scim-anthy package?

One reason it would be helpful to try to start OpenOffice from a
terminal the way I suggested is because then you will see error
messages.   When you start it by clicking on an icon, error messages
might appear on a console, but if I remember correctly, in Ubunutu, you
won't ever see the console because it boots right into X.

You can try doing locale -a | grep ja_JP to see if Ubuntu prefers
ja_JP.UTF-8 or ja_JP.utf8.  You can also try using EUC, which in Debian
would be ja_JP.EUC-JP.

So come back to use with some of this information, and there's a better
chance we'll be able to help.

If you're using scim-anthy, then even if we look at that wiki article,
we won't really know what steps you took, because obviously, at some
point, you've deviated from that article.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

 Angel: Donuts?
Wesley: Developed a sweet fang, have you?