Re: [tlug] Kanji Email on XP: USB Portability, Encodings, Mincho,Gothic, Kothic

Steve wrote:

> > Set up a CD so that she can use Thunderbird on her husband's
> > computer without changing _anything_ on that computer.
>
> Great idea.  This would allow her to do kanji from work as well as from
> home -- maybe.

That shiny USB key-fob will be lost some day.

Show her how to do backups.

> I can't see anything that says "Use this font for display of ISO2022."
> Probably that would have been too easy.

What do the headers of her email say?

> I see that by default a serif font is used to display Japanese,

To grossly simplify:

   Mincho means serif.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincho
   Gothic means sans-serif.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Gothic_typeface

Check out Kochi Mincho and Kochi Gothic.

> ... am looking into whether ISO8059 is a subset of ISO2022 or what (?).

Wikipedia has an amazing amount of CJK information.
There goes another day! Happy browsing.