Re: [tlug] Some advices for Zaurus

Hi Micheal,

Micheal E Cooper wrote:
> You seem to have a collection and enough experience to evaluate several
> PIM systems. I wish I could have had a more comprehensive evaluation from
> you before buying. I cannot afford toys.
It is realy impossible to compare Datebook5 and KDE/pim. At least Zaurus
version.
Have a look on http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/ and you will understand
what I regret.
What is missing on Z PIM:
- comprehensive repeating events managements (for instance easy way to
change one ore more repeating events only)
- timezone management (see below)
- full integration with address book for birthdays
- event icon
- link from event to another document/todo/memo/addressbook etc...
- events templates
- etc...

> About the beeping, though, it does the wake-up alarm (even with KDE PIM)
> right out of the box, and it has DST setting in the global settings area.
No it has not, as every event does not have a timezone... If a conf-call
is at 9:00 Paris time, it will be alternatively 16:00 or 17:00 in Japan.
There should be (in the PIM) these kind of timezone management, as
Datebook5 has:
- current timezone (we change it, all events times should recalculate)
- display timezone (which could be different from current, for instance
if you wish to quickly know what time it will be in Sydney for a Paris
appointment)
- and, most important, event timezone (each event should have its own
timezone). It should be displayed of course in current and/or display
timezone.
- possibly (Datebook5 does not have), an event should even have a
starting time timezone, and an ending time timezone - but it is only
useful for plane schedules, I guess...

My advice is: If you want really want to use your future tool as a
working tool (especially PIM), go for PalmOS, and buy Datebook5. If this
is not an issue, Zaurus could be an alternative.

br.