Re: [tlug] Japanese on CentOS4.1

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:00:28 +0900 Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:

> ... put this,
>
> export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=SCIM'
> export GT_IM_MODULE='scim'
> export QT_IM_MODULE='scim'
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> scim -d
>

> into my ~/.bash_profile

That's an important clue. Only things that get that stuff from
~/.bash_profile, will have that environment.

> and I'm seeing that the gnome-terminal is now
> using the fonts as if I'm running Japanese,

Yup, because gnome-terminal likely uses ~/.bash_profile,
since bash is likely your default shell for gnome-terminal.

> but, when running an app,
> say Firefox or Thunderbird, I get nothing, with Ctrl+space.

If you are invoking Firefox or Thunderbird from the X desktop,
it makes sense that they will not use ~/.bash_profile
and so will not have a clue about the scim environment stuff.
However if you invoked Firefox or Thunderbird from
gnome-terminal, one would likely get something more interesting.

Are you trying to mix English and Japanese scim windows within a
default English X desktop, or are do you want the whole
X desktop to be Japanese scim?