Re: [tlug] Free Linux for Desktop Newbies ?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:08:27 +0900 bofh@example.com wrote:

> Its been a long time since I used Linux ...

> I have a guest room that visitors stay in, which has had a WinXP machine in
> it for some time now. After some recent troubles with the XP box, I've
> decided that I want to try a Linux distro instead. So I'm looking for a Linux
> distro for a desktop/workstation which will be used mainly for websurfing,
> email, Skype, etc. by users with any level of computer knowledge

There are many fine candidates. I've whittled them down to three:

First, just try booting Knoppix and see how your guests like it.
It's easy for you to "install" with no commitment,
and easy enough for guests to fumble their way through.

Second, Ubuntu is the most popular Linux for newbies these days.
They have sweated many of the details that makes Linux frustrating.

Third, Centos. This is a free version of RHEL.
It's more work for you, but since you use BSD, that might be OK.

I recommend playing with Knoppix first because it is so easy for
you to do so. Also, even if you settle on something else for your
guests, you'll keep using Knoppix as a very handy tool.
Also, Skyping from Knoppix (w/o hard drive) can avoid some
spyware security issues.