Re: [tlug] Japanese on CentOS4.1

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:00:28 +0900 Mark Sargent
> <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:
>
>> ... put this,
>>
>> export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=SCIM'
>> export GT_IM_MODULE='scim'
>> export QT_IM_MODULE='scim'
>> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
>> scim -d
>>

>> into my ~/.bash_profile
>
> That's an important clue. Only things that get that stuff from
> ~/.bash_profile, will have that environment.
>
>> and I'm seeing that the gnome-terminal is now
>> using the fonts as if I'm running Japanese,
>
> Yup, because gnome-terminal likely uses ~/.bash_profile,
> since bash is likely your default shell for gnome-terminal.
>
>> but, when running an app,
>> say Firefox or Thunderbird, I get nothing, with Ctrl+space.
>
> If you are invoking Firefox or Thunderbird from the X desktop,
> it makes sense that they will not use ~/.bash_profile
> and so will not have a clue about the scim environment stuff.
> However if you invoked Firefox or Thunderbird from
> gnome-terminal, one would likely get something more interesting.
>
> Are you trying to mix English and Japanese scim windows within a
> default English X desktop, or are do you want the whole
> X desktop to be Japanese scim?
I think it's a little more complicated than that.  I use tcsh my self, but
the idea should be the same.  The environment gets inherited from the
parent process.  In the case of a 'term' it starts with a shell (bash,
bourne, csh, whatever) but in the case of an X application, it inherits
from the parent.  So if you start mozilla (or whatever) from a term with
this environment both set and exported, the child will inherit it.

It's a bit more complicated than that though.  On CDE, you can enable or
disable sourcing the startup profile/login scripts and sometimes it's not
clear what is going on.

Anyway, if your environment is set and exported in a shell, any process
that starts from that shell will inherit the parent environment.  I don't
know of x-aps that use shell login/profile files, but I could be mistaken.

Steve S.