Re: [tlug] Is Prime PC a good enough place to buy a PC

First, I'd like to thank people for the earlier advice on what stores to
shop at.  I did take note, and I am going to do a little price
comparison when I get the chance.

> Basically, for day-to-day work, there's just no return in putting
> money into a state of the art processor.

This is the issue that concerns me most when buying a new PC.

It seems to me that about 5 years ago, which was the last time I
purchased a PC, the leaps and bounds in processor speed, memory,
graphics cards and whatnot made a perceptable difference to the user
experience. A PC bought in, say late 2000 had a noticable jump in
performance over a PC bought in early 1999.

Keep in mind that this is based completely on a non-technical, purely
subjective feeling, not something I would be able to measure.

These days I don't get that feeling alone. At where I work, there are
dozens of computers all bought over the last couple of years, with
varying CPUs, like pentiums, athlons, celerons... and none of them seem
to really perform any better than any others.

If I were into video games, I could see wanting the latest and greatest
performance PC.

But for what I do, I can't seem to assess what is the minimum standard
for decent performance that is likely to last for the next two or three
years.

--
Dave M G