Re: [tlug] Is Prime PC a good enough place to buy a PC

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 20:23 +0900, Ian Wells wrote:
> To play devil's advocate:
>
> On 10/16/05, Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com> wrote:

>         Most cheap systems have too little ram 512M(if you are
>         considering 64 processors you need at least 1G),

> 64 bit processors running XP don't need any more memory than 32 bit
> ones, as XP is 32 bit and its apps are 32 bit.
Except when its 64 bit ;)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

>         cheap Intel processors(you pay a
>         premium for Intel which makes no sense on a discount
>         system),
>
> It's gone beyond the point at which processor speeds makes much
> difference to bog standard XP stuff.  Possibly Linux too, I've not had
> the opportunity to run it on a fast processor...
I find XP runs like a dog unless you have a powerful system, I guess it
just depends on your threshold of pain.

>         Strange
>         or on-board video cards(generic hardware has better
>         support.),
>
> Intel standard onboard graphics chipsets should be  well supported,
> surely?  If you get an AMD-based mobo you can end up with problems
> here.
They should be but not as well as nvidia or even a matrox.

>         no
>         dvd-burner (cheap for backup), ATA instead of SATA, AGP
>         instead of
>         PCIExpress.
>
> If it's cheap it's throwaway, so I debate why SATA or AGP is a
> problem.
The point is not whether it is necessary or not just that there is a big
difference in speed so if you are only getting slower old hardware it
should be much cheaper not just a little bit cheaper.
--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>