Re: [tlug] Is Prime PC a good enough place to buy a PC

To play devil's advocate:

On 10/16/05, Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com> wrote:
After looking at the respective offerings, I came to the conclusion that
none of the major offerings where really cheap.  While they may have
systems for under 60,000 yen they were just overpriced cheap systems.
Most cheap systems have too little ram 512M(if you are considering 64
processors you need at least 1G),

64 bit processors running XP don't need any more memory than 32 bit ones, as XP is 32 bit and its apps are 32 bit.

cheap Intel processors(you pay a
premium for Intel which makes no sense on a discount system),

It's gone beyond the point at which processor speeds makes much difference to bog standard XP stuff.  Possibly Linux too, I've not had the opportunity to run it on a fast processor...

Strange
or on-board video cards(generic hardware has better support.),

Intel standard onboard graphics chipsets should be  well supported, surely?  If you get an AMD-based mobo you can end up with problems here.

no
dvd-burner (cheap for backup), ATA instead of SATA, AGP instead of
PCIExpress.

If it's cheap it's throwaway, so I debate why SATA or AGP is a problem.  Missing DVD burner is indeed an issue and can be a good proportion of the cost of the base system to put right (although personally I prefer portable HDDs cos DVDs are a bit limited).