Re: [tlug] Peeling onions.

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 04:16:05PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Uva> It seems to me that the GNU way of doing things restricts
>     Uva> Linux kernel development to some extent.
> I don't see how.  I think it's Linus who is the bottleneck.  Just
> compare the HURD with any of the actually useful OSS kernels; you'll
> see that "the GNU way" kills kernels.

i would not go that far, since one of the reasons for hurds slow
development is focus on other things. on the other hand you are right.
but i believe that this is because gnu does NOT put any restrictions on
the hurd development. (do what you want, we don't care when it's done)
where as the restrictions for the linux kernel come from the users:
we want a stable kernel, and we want it now, and we don't care about
cool features.

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world