Re: [tlug] Re: Alan Cox's remark at Fosdem

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:20:15 -0500, Viktor Pavlenko <vvp@example.com> wrote:

> Emacs has many pairs of hands because it serves many purposes (it's
> not just MUA, or just text editor, but you know that). If you divide
> number of its purposes by number of its hands, you'll get about one
> and a half :)
>
> (just thought someone _had_ to stand for emacs :)
>
> In general, user interface should be flexible (programmable?) so that
> one can adjust it to their own tastes/needs.

Emacs is not a text editor, it is a way of life. :)

But I could not agree more about the importance of being able to
customise *everything* about your environment. That is why I use
XEmacs and mutt, for example. Both provide sensible defaults, but let
you modify the behaviour of anything you want. Emacs of course even
more so than Mutt, given the fact that it exposes its guts to the
built-in Lisp interpreter.

Cheers,
Josh