Re: [tlug] filesystem namespaces

Jim BLACKSON <blackson@example.com> writes:

> simon colston wrote:
> > I came across this article yesterday:
> > http://www.linuxmagazine.com/content/view/59/115/
> > which indicates Linus Torvald's appreciation of Bell Labs discernment too.
>
> Thanks for the link.  When asked to "elaborate more about Plan 9's
> influences", the article quotes Linus as saying:
>
> "The kernel also internally supports the notion of filesystem
> 'namespaces,' which is another Plan 9-like feature. You can think of
> it as the ability to do per-process mount maps, where different
> processes actually can see a different organization of the filesystem.
> It's not actually used all that much, since it's not a feature that
> people are used to, but it does reflect the common belief among Linux
> developers that the Plan 9 people had 'good taste.'"
>
> What is "filesystem namespaces" that Linus talks about?

I know nothing about the implementation of it in the Linux kernel,
but if you want a description and examples of the Plan 9
implementation, it's at:

  http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/names.html

Hope that helps,

  --Mike

BTW, I'm new to the list. Hoping to make it to the next
get-together.

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/ | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890