Re: [tlug] C vs. other languages (was: tlug-digest Digest V2004 #194)

Quoth Shin MICHIMUKO (Sat 2004-07-31 01:42:29AM +0900):

> I don't understand why so many people are so much impressed the idea
> of OO.  We are not programming the codes by Object Oriented way, like
> those languages idea may be based on. Are we saving the data with
> programs (methods)? Are we inheriting the interfaces someone wrote?
> Don't you want to access to the data directly?
>
> I believe the good things with Java is only the 1) garbage collections,
> and 2) the coding style of avoiding the global variables as much as
> possible. But these points could be accomplished with even C, if the
> project is managed by the small number of people (less than 10).

Hrm, I was originally on about the benefits of memory management. OOP is
just something that almost all high-level languages throw in for free.

The bottom line for me is that I have re-used more code in Perl than in
C, and that is due to the fact that almost all of the CPAN modules imple-
ment an OO interface, making it really easy to roll into my code.

> Regarding C++, I hope I can find some friends who can laugh together
> with this old page :-)
> http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA000092/jokes/strup-e.html

I assume this is the "ACM Interview" in which Bjarne admits that C++ was
a prank?

--
Josh Glover

Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103