Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

    Lyle> Well... the floppy part is relevant in that the warning
    Lyle> given at the shop for same-batch, same-model computers was
    Lyle> for a *sporadic* error on boot-up, which is exactly what I'm
    Lyle> getting.

That's right.

    Lyle> If there were some kind of motherboard damage or
    Lyle> model-specific problem with OptiPlex GX-110's, there could
    Lyle> be a tie-in there.

Check BIOS versions.  Also, check if you can flash an upgraded BIOS.

Reseat _all_ connections (even the power lines, for good luck).  Yes,
I mean all the add-in cards, too.  Everything that can be wiggled.

This sounds like a timing issue to me.  In the machine that fails
often, try plugging the keyboard in directly.  It seems unlikely that
the switch would introduce enough delay to matter, but it's easy
enough to try.

    Lyle> I think the keyboard being at fault can be ruled out due to
    Lyle> the fact that there has been no keyboard-related error in
    Lyle> any shape or form on any of the four computers once they
    Lyle> were up and running, and no error message in any shape or
    Lyle> form at any time with two of them using that same keyboard.

That's not obvious.  Modern keyboards may have internal error-checking
circuitry or whatever that only gets exercised on bootup.  If your
keyboard takes longer than typical ones to run through its routine,
that could be longer than the BIOS is programmed to expect.

All that not withstanding, it sounds like the machine in question is a
lemon.