Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

Michal Hajek wrote:

>hey, do not input more and more variables like memory, floppy,
>...whatever! You have started a question about keyboard, so stick to it
>and solve that one first. Look elswhere only after you know it is NOT a
>keyboard issue.  Otherwise it is nearly impossible to give you any
>advice.

Well... the floppy part is relevant in that the warning given at the
shop for same-batch, same-model computers was for a *sporadic* error on
boot-up, which is exactly what I'm getting.  If there were some kind of
motherboard damage or model-specific problem with OptiPlex GX-110's,
there could be a tie-in there.  Especially since the error is not only
of the same nature, but quite unusual - at least in my post-1996 experience.

I think the keyboard being at fault can be ruled out due to the fact
that there has been no keyboard-related error in any shape or form on
any of the four computers once they were up and running, and no error
message in any shape or form at any time with two of them using that
same keyboard.

The memory board failures are potentially relevant in that the specific
machine most often exhibiting the BIOS error of not recognizing the
keyboard is the very same machine which has (twice!) lost a memory
board.  While it is not unheard of to loose memory boards due to no
fault of the computer, my personal experience with around 100 machines
(at work and at home) is that I have *never* had a memory board failure
on any other machine (barring some early wrong-type memory boards being
mismatched with the test computers they were put in).

Well, thanks for the input.  I'll see what I can come up with and report
back if I find something.

Lyle