Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

Michal Hajek wrote:

>* Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon (ronfaxon@example.com) [040711 13:10]:
>

>>I use a couple of Dell OptiPlex computers, and one of them - about 40%
>>of the time - when booting up displays an error message saying it didn't
>>detect a keyboard.
>>

>>Am I working with a damaged mother board on that machine?
>>

>A very simple way how to find out if the problem is the keyboard or
>elsewhere is to replace the keyboard. Have you tried that?

Actually, I'm using the same keyboard, mouse and monitor with four
computers, running through a KVM switch.  Two of the computers have
never displayed that message, one displays it quite often, and one very
seldom.  The computers that never display that error are an old Digital
and an OptiPlex.  The two that do are both OptiPlex's.  (To simplify the
initial question I just compared the two OptiPlex's on the opposite end
of the spectrum.)

Typing all that out - I suppose it could be the KVM switch?  But then
how about the memory boards?

One other detail.  At the time I bought the OptiPlex, the used shop I
got it at had several OptiPlex models in stock, and some of them were
labeled as sometimes not recognizing their floppy drives.  The one I
bought carried no such warning, but it was from the same batch.  A
glitch in the OptiPlex GX-110 model perhaps?  (But what about the lost
memory boards?.....)