Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[tlug] Etherbooting a PCMCIA card?
- Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:06:38 -0800
- From: Jonathan Byrne <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [tlug] Etherbooting a PCMCIA card?
- User-agent: Mutt/220.127.116.11+cvs20040105i
I may be seeking the impossible, but... I have a stack of several old Micron notebooks (Pentium 133) that I got for free. At least one probably works, and I'm sure I can make at least one more working "frankenbook" from the lot of them. Now, what I would like to do with one if possible is make a thin client out of it and netboot it over PCMCIA. Does anyone know of any PCMCIA NIC that can do this? Why, you may wonder, would I want to do something like this? Well, just for an educational experience, partly. Plus, I read that article a while back about the Microsoft iLoo project at Microsoft U.K. that was quickly killed when headquarters got wind of it (it wasn't spun that way, of course, but I think we can guess what really happened). Anyway, I thought that a notebook computer on a pull-down shelf in the toire would be interesting :-) I know I could install Linux on the disk, but the thin client angle seemed like it would be fun. I'd love to do it over wireless but I won't be greedy; I'm willing to run an Ethernet cable up the hall and into the bathroom :-) "No, no! Get away from me with that straitjacket! I'm sane, I tell you, sane as anyone!" Jonathan -- gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9 Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D 0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9 "Talkin' 'bout my baby, she's some kind of wonderful"
Description: Digital signature
- Re: [tlug] Etherbooting a PCMCIA card?
- From: Ulrich Plate
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] SUN servers conole on Linux serial port
- Next by Date: [tlug] Anonymous Forum Posting
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Red Hat dropping MySQL
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Etherbooting a PCMCIA card?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links