Re: [tlug] Inputting both kanji and Latin-1?

    Scott> If only canna server is running, and we open vim, we can
    Scott> still input Japanese?

With jvim-canna, yes, you only need Canna.

    Scott> I've always simply installed kinput2 and vim.  In every
    Scott> distribution I've tried, including Debian, this enables me
    Scott> to input Japanese.

Yes, it works (nowadays; vim has only been multilingual for about 3
years), for Japanese only.  The problem is that kinput2 is a pretty
crummy piece of code, and does not work and play well with others.
For example, with Emacsen it has the habit of stripping the Meta
modifier, and ISTR it also just drops the Compose keysym on the
floor.  So with kinput2 you have to choose between Japanese and other
non-ASCII input; you can't do them at the same time unless you have an
application like Emacs that can do its own input methods internally.