Re: [tlug] Inputting both kanji and Latin-1?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 03:18:18PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> To input kanji (or kana) you would have to have kinput2
>     Scott> running as well.  If kinput is running but not canna, you
>     Scott> would be able to input hiragana, but not get any kanji.
>
> False.  The reason for suggesting a Canna-ized application is to get
> kinput2 and XIM out of the way.

I'm confused here.  (Nothing new of course).

If only canna server is running, and we open vim, we can still input
Japanese?  (I said kinput2, but of course there are other input
methods).

> BTW, I don't know how to determine if a vi-family app is canna-ized.
> AFAIK it's a separate patch, so your distro probably has a vim-canna
> package.

I've always simply installed kinput2 and vim.  In every distribution
I've tried, including Debian, this enables me to input Japanese. (In
Deb, one also has to install localeconf, in Slack one has to be sure to
install the i18n-glibc).

I have the feeling that I'm missing your point here, or perhaps it's
simply a method of which I'm unaware.

(FreeBSD at least, has a version of vim in their /usr/ports/japanese,
but if I install kinput2 and canna I've never found it necessary to
install the Japanese patched version of vim)

What am I missing (or simply not knowing) here?

Thank you as always for your time (which isn't meant to assume you have
time to answer this question, but I think the syntax of this post has
already been overly bent out of shape)  :)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff
and upper with that nancy-boy accent. (everyone looking at him)
You Englishmen are always so... (pauses) Bloody hell! (ticks off
on his fingers) Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks,
oh God! I'm English!
Giles: Welcome to the nancy tribe.