Re: [tlug] Re receipt requests on mails sent through TLUG

Douglas Steele wrote:

> Martin, please don't have your email client request delivery receipts
> on email sent to a list!  I think they are intrusive and dubious even
> on one to one emails and there is even less reason to use them on
> emails sent to public lists.  They are potentially harmful to the list
> because the irritation factor can cause subscribers to leave.

It can get worse than that. I once resigned as administrator of a
mailing list but my old e-mail-address was still listed as owner of the
list. Then someone sent an announcement to the list requesting a
delivery receipt to the list owner - but unfortunately, this old
e-mail-address of mine had been disabled, and every single delivery
receipt bounced right back to the people who sent it... That's an
excellent way to generate a maximum of confusion with a minimum of
effort.

> If this isn't something you are doing intentionally, consider this a
> heads up that your email client is doing something buggy.

Is it? I actually thought this was one of the rare examples where
Outrage Distress was actually RFC-compliant, wasn't it?

Ulrich Plate

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key CF7D6206
Fingerprint CDD6 3225 3489 1305 D4D6 1CCF 50E8 6505 CF7D 6206