Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

Quoth David Santinoli (Wed 2002-09-11 03:34:48PM +0200):
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:41:16PM +1000, Jim Breen wrote:
> >
> > - looking at the "brandname" models I see that there are equivalent
> > systems from Compaq, Toshiba and IBM. (256M, 20Gb, etc.)  Does
> > anyone have any comments on the suitability, ease of installation, etc.
> > for Linux (e.g. RH7.3)?
>
> Why not consider a Dell also? I have a low-end one and it works like a
> breeze with RH 7.3.

Dell sucketh most righteously, in my experience. I bought an Inspiron
3800 about three years ago, when I was heading to Japan, and have been
nothing but disappointed with the hardware and the support from Dell.

In the three years that I have owned it, the hard drive has failed,
the fan has failed, I have been through two keyboards, the PCMCIA
controller overheated and died (could have been a result of the fan
failure), and finally, my battery (which never gave me the advertised
battery life anyway) or the charging mechanism has failed.

Combine this with the fact that Dell refused to work with me at all to
replace parts in Japan since I had bought the machine from Dell
USA. Never mind that I specifically asked the sales person if I needed
to do *anything* special before leaving for Japan.

And to top that off, they finally, after extending my warranty by ten
days (after trying and failing to transfer my warranty to Dell Japan
so that I could replace the failing parts), would not sell me an
extended warranty.

Therefore, I cannot and will not recommend Dell to anyone. In fact, if
my story dissuades even *one* of you from buying a Dell, I will feel
better.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967