Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:41 pm, Jim Breen wrote:
> Well today my wife came home to find a hole in the roof, the
> manhole into the ceiling open, and a couple of things missing,

Not good.

> - looking at the "brandname" models I see that there are equivalent
> systems from Compaq, Toshiba and IBM. (256M, 20Gb, etc.)  Does
> anyone have any comments on the suitability, ease of installation, etc.
> for Linux (e.g. RH7.3)?

I've installed Redhat 7.0, 7.2, Mandrake 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2 on Toshiba laptops
and Gateway laptops. The Gateways didn't have too many problems, but Gateway
don't sell in Australia anymore and their support has gone bad.
The Toshiba's installed with RH 7.2 and any of the Mandrake 8.x as easily as
any desktop install I've ever done. http://www.linux-laptop.net was the best
resource for those niggling little problems like sound cards not recognised
with RH 7.0.

> - some come with XP. I think I need to leave a basic Win partition
> as laptops seem to need various config utilities installed there. Does
> anyone have useful experience to share about shrinking the partition
> with XP?

Partition Magic is very comprehensive. Surprisingly, GNU parted seems to be as
well. However, parted doesn't appear to have support for NTFS, XP's fs, only
their earlier MS filesystems. But PartitionMagic 7 has specific support for
XP.

Sam Tilders
sam@example.com

Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am.  (Descartes)