Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:48:21 +0900, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> squashed
this out of the keyboard:

> OK, let me qualify that a bit.  All current notebook pointing
> devices suck.

Agreed 200%.

> The things that suck the most are trackpads.

Agreed 0%.

> I hate them about 100 times more than you hate the erasers.

There we have it. It's personal preference.

Note that I didn't say that erasers were crap, I said that I didn't like
them. Big difference :)

> The best is a trackball,

Never been able to use the darn things!

> I don't know about the ones now, but we also have a Toshiba
> Dynabook 2540, and  I have tried and tried and tried to
> get Linux or FreeBSD on that machine, but I can't get no
> satisfaction.

I have an Acer TravelMate 515TE which also had a Toshiba label slapped on it
but I forget which one. The model is from 1999 IIRC.

It was a breeze setting up Slack 8.0 on it
(http://www.sgms-centre.com/laptop)
but you're right in that CardBus support can be a bit of a headache. The
trick is to say "no" to CardBus support in the kernel confoguration and use
pcmcia-cs available from sourceforge.net.

> >A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake
> >without mustard
>
> Mind if I steal this one?

Be my guest.

I have another one you might like:

<quote>
In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
Then how come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
        -- Hasse Skrifvars, hasku@example.com,
</quote>

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in
their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're
a mile away and you have their shoes.