Re: [tlug] Changing from Dial-up to Fiber optics

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:58:49 +0900, Shimpei Yamashita wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 06:21:59PM +0900,
> Jack Morgan wrote:
> > I don't think many people have FTTH yet. You don't really need anything special
> > AFAIK. The ISP will give you a modem/router that you just plug your hub/switch/PC
> > into.
>
> I'm trying to get B-Flets to my manshon (not to be confused with mansion)
> right now. Progress report will be made available if there is interest.
>
> Main software problem is probably going to be PPPoE. According to a third-
> party web page, the driver CD-ROM that NTT (*) provides actually includes
> source code to a Linux PPPoE driver. That would be a massively pleasant
> surprise, but we'll see.

I have FLETS ADSL through NTT East, and would imagine that the PPPoE
driver that they are providing is the same one they provided me when
I got hooked up late last year.  The driver was not useful.  Only worked
on kernels up to 2.2.16 and, IIRC, was geared towards a Redhat 6.x box.

I think I used the rp-pppoe from www.roaringpenguin.com on a debian
box.  Since I needed a hub/switch anyway and have a penchant for
reinstalling my boxes, I eventually went for a router solution, but
until that time rp-pppoe treated me fine.

Michael