Re: [tlug] ipchains settings to allow sendmail from localhost

Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen@example.com) wrote:

>     jb> because a (growing) number of domains have their MXes
>     jb> configured to refuse direct mail connections from those
>     jb> sources, because most such connections are spam.

> By "those sources" you mean no MX in the DNS, right?  Or do you mean
> the dialup farms of big ISPs?  But how do they identify the latter?

Dialup farms, but not just those of big ISPs.  Big, small,
whatever.  Cable, DSL, dial. Our collection is large but distinguished,
and quite international in character  :-)

Many of them have reverse DNS, so
it's easy to put something like dsl-.*.bigspamsource.net in
a local filter.  You say you're mail.nospamhere.net and
your reverse lookup says you're part a certain large California
DSL pool. Bounce!

We do also check to make sure mail is returnable, which protects
us from some spam and and broken domains.  No MX, no A record,
no accept.

And our Klez filters are quite busy these days, too :-p

Jonathan