Re: [tlug] Ipchains/Iptables

Hey Scott.
(what a great name! )

That's good. Thanks a lot. When you run iptables, do you
need this thing called netfilter? Can you run iptables by
calling it from within /etc/rc.d/rc.local just as you do with
ipchains.

For iptables what do you think of these:
http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/scripts/rc.firewall_023.txt
http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/proxyarp/rc.firewall.txt

Thanks a lot Scott!

Ozzie Scott

> \
>
> > I dont believe you can just type in rules off the console and have
> > them work. Im not sure though. Was hoping there would be an
> > ipchains expert out there somewhere.
>
> Yes, you can.  Using RH 7.2 as an example, you use the
> -I for insert--if, for example, you wanted to allow ssh connections, when
> your default firewall blocked them.
>
> First
> ipchains -L -n --line-number
> This will show your current ipchains (I've been using iptables for many
> months now, so if I make an error in syntax, someone please correct it)
It