Re: [tlug] Speaking of things that make you feel stupid...

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 07:46, Jack Morgan wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 06:21:09PM -0500, Josh Glover wrote:
> > I have this Sun Enterprise 4500 server. Really nice, really big. I bet
>
> I hope you don't have this in your house...

Yup. I keep my fullsize rack right beside the fridge! ;)

> > 1) Pop the Solaris 8 Install CD in
>
> I wouldn't use this, It limits your options.

OK, so I should stick to booting off software CD 1?

> > 2) Bring the system to the OK prompt
>
> Here you can do a lot of debugging:
>
> ok> probe-scsi  # this tell you what disks you have and there SCSI ID
> 		  which is helpful for partitioning

Yup, I have run the old help command and RTFM'd a lot of the prom
settings. One interesting thing to note is that I cannot probe-scsi or
probe-scsi-all. The system gives me a warning about how the command
might hang the box, and to issue a reset-all first. Well, reset-all also
reboots the machine. I read somewhere that you need to Stop-A it before
the reboot kicks in, but it does not work here.

> I usually do "set-defaults" to reset the firmware (sun's name for bios) settings
> back to the original values.

That is a fine idea, one that I will try immediately.

> This is what you want to use. Sun expects the boot disk to be SCSI ID 3 (c0t3d0s0)
> but doesn't have to be. I would try installing the / partition on this disk, say:
>
> c0t3d0s0	/		1st partition
> c0t3d0s1	swap		2nd  	"
> c0t3d0s2	whole disk	default- can't use
> c0t3d0s3	/usr		3rd partition
> c0t3d0s4	/var		4th 	"

Hmm... so you can't use slice 2?

Are there any tricks to the partition editor? I guessed that the table
was just mount point and size. I hope that I didn't miss anything.

> I hope my explanation is understandable and helpful :-/

Quite, thanks! I will try out your suggestions and finally turn that
hulking box into a server, I hope! :)

Thanks!
-Josh