Re: [tlug] !!!OT!!! raw cd copy

    Dan> I propose that they make a more user friendly Linux and keep

This is precisely what Mandrake tries to do.  They're moderately
successful at the user friendliness, so I hear.  They're not very good
at making friends with upstream developers though.

Ultimately, making friends with any computer system really requires
that you respect it and devote time and energy to keeping it healthy
and happy.  Just like any friend.  It's not an accident that one of
the best commercials on TV right now is "kaze no pasokon".  Poor
neglected thing!  It's running Windows, of course, and that's no
accident either.

    Dan> the Solaris and other Unix (non-user friendly) OS for
    Dan> business purposes. That way you can hit both markets (general
    Dan> consumers and businesses).

This is a non-starter.  Linux is all about "my business" in a generic
sense.  Linux is about empowerment.  Linux is not a toy---it is a
toolbox.  The people who make Linux what it is mostly do so because it
increases the work that they can do.  (Read Linus on Linux some time.)
Then on top of that, adding power becomes a goal in itself.

I'm afraid that "general consumers" really want a slightly smarter
Playstation, not a personal computer.  You can make money on this
based on Linux, but I kinda doubt it will look like Red Hat or
Mandrake.  It will look like a Playstation.  ;-)  And this is not what
most Linux developer/users want.