Re: [tlug] Hostname

[David Santinoli (Re: [tlug] Hostname [Help! - I broke dhcp]) writes:]
>> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 09:36:37AM +1100, Jim Breen wrote:
>> >
>> > A related question - is there any way I can impose a local hostname,
>> > which doesn't get in the way of things? Older distros had a
>> > "/etc/HOSTNAME" file, but RH7.2 doesn't seem to have one.
>>
>> Try setting HOSTNAME=... in /etc/sysconfig/network.

Tried that. That field contained "localhost.localdomain".

Interesting outcome - (a) the hostname changed (b) dhcp still works
(c) X did not start (d) when I started X by hand, Gnome whimpered that
it could not find the new hostname by DNS.

Is there any way I can get the hostname changed, and still get X to
start?

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298