[tlug] EPWING/EB Readers?

G'day all,

I have a question about what are some good EB readers for Linux.

Background: for some years I have been accumulating a heap of EB (aka
EPWING and JIS X 4081) dictionary files (free, purchase, back-of-truck,
etc.). The search/display tool I have been using is the old line
oriented "dic" program, which I got originally from a TL 1.0(J) CD. That
suited my purposes fine, as I can point straight at the main
START/HONMON file(s). I have an expect script that enables quick
searches on a set of such files.

The olde "dic" has been getting more painful to install each time I move
Linux version, as I have to hunt down old libraries (libncurses, etc.).
The source doesn't seem to be around in a useable form, and the src.rpm
blows up in compilation (for RH7.2 anyway.)

Does anyone have suggestions for a more modern EB client? I'd prefer
something that doesn't get fussed about all the file structure of a
typical EB CD, as in some cases I just have the main file.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a complete recent source for the
old "dic" client?

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298