Re: [tlug] A few SPAM questions...

David Santinoli (u235@example.com) wrote:

> 30% Korea (especially from educational institutions like schools)

Do you mean 30% of the spam you get comes from Korea, or comes
through Korea (that is, the open relay is in Korea)?  Here (GOL),
probably 75% of the spam we see originates in the USA or Canda,
with the great majority of that being from the United States.
Most of the rest is Japanese-langauge spam, and there are trace
amounts of spam in Korean, Chinese, German, Spanish, and once
in a while French or Portuegese, but these are a drop in the
bucket.

We use ORDB and also have extensive local filters, and most of
the spam that reaches our MXes doesn't get through, but of course,
there is still a lot that does.  Spam filtering is always a game
of catch-up.  Or if your spam comes in a blue can, it's a game
of ketchup (sorry) :-)

Jonathan