Re: [tlug] Partition sizes

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:03:56PM +1100, Jim Breen wrote:
> I can see the sense of keeping /home and /boot away, but what is the
> case for breaking out /usr, /usr/tmp, etc.?  Seems like it is asking for
> granularity problems.
>
> Are there clear advantages, especially given that with a notebook I have
> restricted capability to offload and repartition?
Depends a lot on what you want to do, but one reason is that if one
partition fills up, it doesnt bring everything else down.

Its a good idea to keep /usr seperate because whenever you install a
new package, most of it goes there. A good trick I found was to mount
/usr read-only by default. That way, it increases security and reduces
the chances of corruption.

> I know 2 x RAM is the orthodox view. I have some XML tools that use
> memory space grossly, and I'd like to be sure, given I have one chance
> to get it right.
Should be fine if its more than 2 x RAM and you really need it.

> >> /var	1GB
>
> My RH7.1 /var is only about 90Mb used
It can grow. Should be safe to keep it small though, unless your mail
queue is very busy or your packages write most of their data there
(default install of Postgres on RH keeps the DATABASE there).

> Hmmm. My /usr/local is only about 40Mb used. The rest of /usr is 2.7Gb.
> /usr/share, /usr/bin and /usr/lib are the main components. /usr/share
> alone is 1.2Gb.
That depends on where most of your software gets installed. After doing
a standard install, i build most packages and keep them in /usr/local,
so its bigger than the rest of /usr.

> Yes, my present 55Mb partition is only about 13Mb used. It has 4
> kernels, I see. Still, 60Mb is noise.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
> Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298
> P.O Box 26, Monash University,                          Fax: +61 3 9905 5146
> Clayton VIC 3800, Australia      ジム・ブリーン@example.comƒ¢ãƒŠã‚·ãƒ¥å¤§å­¦

- --
A. Sajjad Zaidi
System Administrator