Re: [tlug] networking

Hi Gavin -
Freesco is great - www.freesco.org.
It's free - GPL, too.
I did a page on it a while back at:
http://mmdc.net/network.html  (The stuff on samba is a bit outdated, I think...)
and
http://mmdc.net/quickstart.html

It's one of those 'single-floppy' distros, which means that you don't need a hard drive in the machine - in fact, I've stripped that machine of its hard drive, CD drive, most of the cards and even the fan and it's performed flawlessly for over a year.
When I had regular dialup, I had it set so that it would autodial and then hang up after 1 minute of inactivity, which was good when you are paying Japan phone rates - just be sure that it's not dialing out when you don't want it to. (When if you have a Windows machine on the network, certain programs like to connect if they see that you have a net connection - having a router makes the client PCs think the connection is always on - be careful.)
Cheers,
Jim