Re: [tlug] how to use rsh?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 04:59:13PM +0800, henry wrote:

> I edit a file .rhosts under /root as belows
>                      192.168.0.251  root
> &
>
>  I use command "rsh 192.168.0.223" from another machine
>
> Then I get  message "192.168.0.223 connection refused " .
>
> How can I rsh as a root ?

Rsh is considered a security risk and is now deprecated.  Unless all of the
machines in the private network to which the above addresses belong are in
your exclusive control, you should should look seriously at using some
implementation of ssh for this instead.

Using rsh for direct root access has always been considered a bad idea, and
may be forestalled by your operating system installation.  You shouldn't
bother trying to work around the limitation; just install ssh, study the docs,
and use that instead.

If you really need to go through rsh, you can go in as an ordinary user, and
then bump up your privileges using "su".  Note this may place your root
password in the clear on the network, which is a very bad thing to do.  You
really should use rsh instead.

Cheers,
Frank Bennett
Nagoya