[tlug] pcg-c1mrx / pcg-c1mv

I've recently acquired a sony pcg-c1mrx and with some playing around,
have managed to get redhat 7.2 and openbsd-3.0 installed onto it but
not all devices are working yet.

It seems that unless I pass:
   pci=conf2 ide2=0x180,0x386

the kernel freezes just after printing:
   ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 80
   PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:10.0
   ALI15X3: chipset revision 196
   ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

With those two options on the kernel boot line, IRQ's are set up with
"method 2" and the pcmcia sony cdrom gets mapped as an ide drive
rather than some other sort of device.  That is enough to get past
whatever device probe is otherwise locking up the system during boot
and make the cdrom available to run the installation but leaves most
of the interesting hardware unavailable (including pcmcia for anything
other than the cdrom, the video graphics chip, bluetooth and others).

As an aside, I tried OpenBSD 3.0 to see if it had the same problem --
it did seem to have better luck recognizing devices but I haven't

I'm guessing there is some sort of IRQ conflict or the default probe
is triggering bad behaviour in the new hardware of this laptop but I
don't yet have enough information to be certain.

Has anyone else spent time debugging the linux configuration for the
pcg-c1mrx or seen similar problems on other hardware?

                                        Cheers,
                                        Bruce