Re: [tlug] Did you now??

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:05:34 +0900, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote to
tlug@example.com:

> Xenix.  Is it a coincidence that it sounds kind of liek "xenophobe?"
> Probably, but it's pretty fitting :-)

That's it! I couldn't remember the name.

A quick search on google.com turned up this interesting description of Xenix
from www.computerhope.com:

«In the late 1970's Microsoft licensed UNIX source code from AT&T which at
the time was not licensing the name UNIX. Therefore Microsoft created the
name Xenix. Microsoft did not sell Xenix to end-users but instead licensed
the software to software OEMs such as Intel, Tandy, Altos and SCO  who then
provided a finished version of their own Xenix to the end-users or other
customers.»

Right, so M$ used to sell off unfinished operating systems. Things haven't
changed much since then :)