Re: restoring text mode after x server crash

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does someone here know a way to restore the text mode if the x server
> crashed and did not manage to switch back to text mode before getting
> killed ?
> This seems to happen a lot with the nv driver since apt-get updated
> to xfree-4.1. ... *sigh*

I used to get crashes often with xfree-4.0.x and the nv module, but not many in
4.1. These crashes were pretty serious and not even 'Alt + SysRq' did any good.
Only solution I found was to stop playing Quake III very often. :-)

> One way might be to use a graphical framebuffer but I don't want that
> because that one is slower than real text mode and doesn't seem to
> work too well with nvidia's linux-port of their windows driver,
> which I sometimes use if I need xvideo or opengl...
> (more often the former)

Which kernel are you using. The nvidia framebuffer code was updated in 2.4.2 I
believe and is very fast. It may be slightly slower than real text mode, but hardly
noticable.

41 53 5A