Re: restoring text mode after x server crash

A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

> I used to get crashes often with xfree-4.0.x and the nv module, but not many in
> 4.1. These crashes were pretty serious and not even 'Alt + SysRq' did any good.

Weird ^^;
It's the opposite for me...
OK, maybe I should add that the X Server mostly only will kill itself if I start
xlock and go away from the machine for some time. When I come back the X Server
seems to be gone for sure.
Sometimes I have to log in via ssh to unraw the keyboard, sometimes that's
not necessary.

> Only solution I found was to stop playing Quake III very often. :-)

Hmm, don't you need opengl for Quake III ?
(OK, there is software opengl, but I imagine that being to slow for Quake III...)

> Which kernel are you using. The nvidia framebuffer code was updated in 2.4.2 I
> believe and is very fast. It may be slightly slower than real text mode, but hardly
> noticable.

2.4.8-pre4-ext3 ^^;
Maybe I should compile the framebuffer as a module so I could at least switch
to it if the text mode console is gone...

--
Tobias							     PGP-Key: 0x9AC7E0BC
echo ${SIGNATURE}