Re: cron/logrotate

Jc,

--- Jean-Christian Imbeault <jean_christian@example.com> wrote:

> [Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com>] correctly pointed out:
> >
> >I think, in the case of Apache, you would be better
> >off running Apache's rotatelogs utility.
>
> I totally agree. Unfortunately it seems that Apache 1.3.12 either
> didn't come with rotatelogs or it wasn't installed by the rpm.

rotatelogs comes with the source.
You can build it separately and use it with your RPM based system.

> I'm trying to find out how to painlessly upgrade to 1.3.20 which does
> have
> rotatelogs included. As soon as that't done I'll start using it.

 $ ./configure --prefix=PREFIX
 $ make
 $ make install
 $ PREFIX/bin/apachectl start

Now that wasn't so painful, was it :-)

> But I also have to also do a search on how to use rotatelogs ^_^ ...
> seems easy enough but I'm not sure yet on how to make it save
> backups as log.1, log.2 ... or how to tell it to only keep 4 of them.

There is also a logrotate man page.

> Of course rolling my own sounds like fun too but between setting up
> Apache, working on our DNS set-up, kicking whiny win2k
> machines, making our NT domain server co-exist with our
> samba server ... :)

Sounds like one nice big learning experience :-)
And you forgot LART configuration.

> But then again a little bit of coding actually sounds more relaxing
> than interopability problem solving!

It improves your coding to realize how it will actually have to
be deployed :-)

> Jc

Jake