Re: cron/logrotate

>rotatelogs comes with the source.
>You can build it separately and use it with your RPM based system.

Done that :) Installed 1.3.20 on a test machine jsut to see what I'm up
against.

>  $ ./configure --prefix=PREFIX
>  $ make
>  $ make install
>  $ PREFIX/bin/apachectl start
>
>Now that wasn't so painful, was it :-)

Not at all;) But is my 1.3.12 conf file compatible? Compiling/installing the
source was easy. I'm just worried about library conflicts and wether or not
the conf file will still work.

Also, would an "rpm -e apache-1.2.12" before the new installation cause any
problems? How about *after* the new installation; doing it after is
preferable so that I can switch over quickly and minimize the downtime.

>There is also a logrotate man page.

For some reason that didn't get installed automagically. The page is there
under "/usr/local/apache/man/man8/rotatelogs.8" but a man rotatelog brings
up nothing. I had to man it manually. It's helpful but doesn't say how to
set up rotatelogs to make only 4 copies, but I'm looking into it.

>Sounds like one nice big learning experience :-)

All OJT too!

>And you forgot LART configuration.

Had to look that one up! Very funny! Just have to quote this for others who
might be wondering what that is!

>It improves your coding to realize how it will actually have to
>be deployed :-)

Wish M$ would learn that simple lesson ...

Jc

LART defined:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/BOFH.html

And stories of people who them ... very funny! A must read ;)

http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html