Re: Sendmail configuration question

> This question goes to all you sendmail gurus. If you can get through the
> first ten lines of sendmail.cf without passing out, i consider you a
> guru, so there should be plenty out there.

I've occasionally looked at some lines of a sendmail.cf but don't remember
if I read all the details in the first ten lines...

> By default sendmail forks for every message and if hundreds or thousands
> of messages need to be sent out at the same time, this causes the system
> to run out of resources.

This can actually be solved on the command line that starts the sendmail
daemon, if I understand correctly.  Do a "man sendmail", look for the -O
option (the meta-option option), and then the ForkEachJob option
(sub-option).  Then try editing rc.sysinit or wherever the command line is
located.

> And its very inconvenient to switch to another mailer at this point, so
> no use recommending qmail, exim etc.

Yes and no.  If you have a problem that makes it sufficiently inconvenient
to get sendmail running, then the inconvenience of switching to a better
mailer might be more useful.

Yours sincerely,
Norman Diamond