Re: Sendmail configuration question

SN_Diamond wrote:

> I've occasionally looked at some lines of a sendmail.cf but don't remember
> if I read all the details in the first ten lines...

My mistake. The first ten lines are comments. ;-)

> This can actually be solved on the command line that starts the sendmail
> daemon, if I understand correctly.  Do a "man sendmail", look for the -O
> option (the meta-option option), and then the ForkEachJob option
> (sub-option).  Then try editing rc.sysinit or wherever the command line is
> located.

I tried running it with the ForkEachJob option and whether it was set to True
or False, sendmail spawned about 250 processes and died. I also get a 'too
many open files' error.

I can increase the number of Max open files on the system, but there should
be a way to control this from sendmail.

> > And its very inconvenient to switch to another mailer at this point, so
> > no use recommending qmail, exim etc.
>
> Yes and no.  If you have a problem that makes it sufficiently inconvenient
> to get sendmail running, then the inconvenience of switching to a better
> mailer might be more useful.
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Norman Diamond

Youre right about that. I did get exim working once, so how is that for this
kind of problem?

Thanks,

A.Sajjad